Weekending

Monday, August 10, 2015

I can't believe another weekend has come and gone and now we're in the double digits for August!! It's so crazy how time is moving so quickly.

After work on Friday, I came home to my birthday present from my sister. She got me an adorable dainty necklace and framed some paintings she did for me. She is super talented when it comes to drawing and painting - I wanted something unique for my office so I asked her to do some paintings for me. I am so impressed with what she did and can't wait to hang them up! I also got Giuliana Rancic's new biography Going off Script and I can't wait to read it.




On Saturday, we had Stephen's parents over to have dinner and see the house so that meant I cleaned and baked all night Friday after work. This was actually my first time cooking for his parents so I wanted to go all out with an appetizer, entree and dessert. I decided to make Christina's Caprese garlic bread for the appetizer and it was a HIT. She was not kidding when she said everyone will go back for seconds. It was delicious and everyone was raving about it! Oh, and it was super easy to make - definitely the perfect appetizer.



Ingredients:
One loaf of gourmet bread (I used Publix's fresh Italian bread)
Salted butter
Garlic power
Fresh mozzarella slices
Balsamic vinegar
Tomatoes
Basil

Directions: (I did mine slightly different than the original recipe)
1. Spread butter on the bread and then sprinkle garlic power on top
2. Place the mozzarella cheese on top and bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 min
3. Top with tomato and basil immediately after removing from the oven
4. Drizzle the balsamic on top

The bread was perfectly crispy and the ingredients meshed perfectly together! Stephen's already requesting a redo soon.

For the main course, I made creamy spinach pasta and balsamic roasted brussels sprouts. Both were a huge hit and everyone seemed to gobble it right up. For dessert, I tried a new recipe - Toll House chocolate chip pie with vanilla frozen yogurt. It turned out delicious but is a little rich (I'll post this recipe in a little bit). 

Sunday we went to church and did the usual - grocery shopping, laundry, working on the house, etc. 

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Linking up with Biana.

6 comments:

  1. Those paintings are adorable! You're so lucky to have such a talented sister :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie!! She blows me away every time I see something she creates!

      Delete
  2. Everything about your weekend sounds wonderful :) Your sister's paintings are beautiful, and that will be such a fun, personal addition to the new house. Also, that necklace is totally my style. I'm going to need to try some of these recipes too! Glad you had a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That appetizer looks AMAZING! definitely trying that soon! Happy Monday lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1st of all, brave girl cooking for your in-laws! No way I would be brave enough to do that! I love the paintings as a gift, such a keepsake!

    not a mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those prints that your sister painted for you! Xo, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete