Thoughts for 2016

Thursday, January 7, 2016

I've never been a good resolution setter, remembering said resolution and sticking to it throughout the year. I've also noticed that a lot of y'all feel the same way, which is nice because I thought I was in the minority of the blogger world. However, I do feel a sense of "fresh start" after a new year happens and it makes me think about some things in my life. Even though I don't have any specific resolutions/goals I want to stick to, I do feel that I should change a few things up (starting small) and try to make them into a habit throughout the year.
Health
I'd like to consider myself healthy - not in the sense that I should be, with eating organics and veggies for snacks. Yes, I eat processed food. Yes, I always need a dessert chaser after lunch and dinner. Yes, sometimes I mindlessly eat when I'm bored. Even though these habits are unhealthy, I try to eat in moderation, I buy everything I can low calorie/low sugar/fat free etc., we rarely eat out so we make our own dinners and I try to make sure we always have some fruits and veggies at our meals.

I've decided to incorporate a few small things into my diet in order to make them a little healthier. I want to really give the water with lemon in the morning a go. I LOVE water with lemon and actually tried this last year and did it for about a month. I didn't notice any changes and got lazy. I've heard it really helps your metabolism and preps your digestive tract for the day. Even if I don't actually notice any improvements, why not drink a glass of water in the morning? I could really use the extra hydration anyways.

I'd also like to try to make healthier breakfasts in the morning and focus on protein. I've heard this is really good for you to kick start your day and leave you feeling fuller longer. I'm going to aim to have protein in the morning for 2-3 days per work week. I kicked this off with 1 egg and 2 slices of turkey bacon already, this week.

I'm making the conscience decision to buy wheat bread and not white bread. I've always known wheat bread is WAY better for you than white bread but I've been buying the white bread version of the bread we enjoy because it tastes better. I'm only going to focus on this for our lunches since I make sandwiches for us everyday but I feel like this will make a big difference.

Stephen and I both want to workout again - we feel so much better afterwards but I'm so dang tired when I get home from work. After driving an hour home, I'm ready to crash, get things done around the house and blog but I really need to make time to do something. I think if I find a really good cardio dance workout, I'll be a lot better with this. Let me know if y'all have any good hip hop workouts!!


Spiritual
Last year, I really dropped the ball on my daily devotions until a few months ago when I downloaded the First 5 app. Before I was married, I liked doing my devotions at the end of the day before going to bed but now it's a little harder when I have a husband asking me to turn off the light so he can go to sleep. I would go to bed, realize I forgot to spend time with God and then feel guilty because I miraculously had time for social media, but not God. The First 5 app has some great devotions and it has the ability to set reminders. I set the reminder for right before I wake up so that it's the first thing I read before starting the day.

I also got the Savor 365 devotional book as a Christmas gift and have been enjoying reading it every evening. That book (so far) isn't as deep as the First 5 app but it still packs a punch which is why I enjoy it but also am continuing on with the First 5 app. I really want to make an effort to continue both these items throughout the year.

Okay, so this kind of turned into a resolutions post but I feel like these are some small changes that are specific and I can really focus on. Some of them, I'm not sure if they'll make a difference but I want to try and make some positive changes/habits.

What are some of y'alls resolutions/goals/changes for 2016? I love hearing what other people want to strive for throughout the year.


Linking up with Annie.

3 comments:

  1. I'm horrible at resolutions too! I do good for maybe 2 months then forget all about them and kick myself come December! I'm trying to set small monthly goals (drink more water, eat healthier & exercise 3 days a week are my January goals). Have you ever heard of CIZE? It's a new program through Beach Body that's all dancing! I absolutely DESPISE cardio but love this! You're literally dripping in sweat by the time you're done! If you're interested let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am awful at resolutions, so I am not making any this year. I will have to check out the Take 5 app. It sounds really helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Turkey bacon is MY FAVORITE! lol. I seriously can eat it all the time and never get tired of it! One of our goals this year is to not eat out as much. We usually don't eat out during the week but if we are out and about on a Saturday we just grab something quick and we usually always go out to eat after church in Sundays. I'm hoping to make a crockpot meal for every other Sunday lunch and just eat out less in general.

    ReplyDelete