Baked Tacos

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Stephen and I always enjoy a good Mexican dish (I mean this week we're eating chicken enchilada bowls for the 100th time). I've seen a bunch of "baked taco" recipes on Pinterest and other blogger's sites so I finally decided to give it a try. They actually turned out really good! These will definitely be on repeat in our house and the nice thing is you can make them tons of different ways.






Ingredients 
*You can really use whatever you'd like inside the tacos. Below are the items we used.
- Hamburger meat (approx 1 lb)
- Hard taco shells 
- Taco seasoning (we used some home made seasoning that was gifted to us)
- Salsa
- 1 onion
- Mexican cheese
- Sour cream
**Next time, I'd add lettuce and tomatoes on top after everything has baked

Directions
1. Cook your hamburger meat. Once the meat is cooked, drain the grease, add a teaspoon or 2 of water (add water according to the taco seasoning packet) and then add your taco seasoning. Make sure everything is well combined.

2. Lightly spray some non-stick cooking spray on a baking dish and line up your taco shells. Fill shells with hamburger meat, salsa, onions (we grilled ours prior), and cheese. Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes. 

3. Once your tacos are done, top with remaining items (sour cream, tomatoes, etc.) and enjoy!

I did have some lessons learned with this recipe:
1. The bottom of the tacos got a little soggy so I had some blow outs. I'm attributing this to either I didn't let them cook long enough (I took them out 2 min early), I put too much spray in the baking dish or I didn't drain the grease from the meat enough. 

2. I planned on having this dish for 2 nights and cooked/baked everything the first night. Next time, I'll cook everything the first night but then only bake what we were going to eat each night. They were a lot more soggy the 2nd night but heating them up in the oven instead of the microwave seemed to help. 

6 comments:

  1. I was honestly just thinking of trying baked tacos! I will give this one a try, they look delicious!! -- Julie @ Everyday Happiness Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too funny!! You should definitely try them! Baking them adds a little something that regular tacos just don't have.

      Delete
  2. These look delicious!! I always love finding any new mexican recipe to try out and we've never done hard tacos in the oven!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That probably happens to the bottoms because of the meat. Even so, these look absolutely delicious! I think i would prefer them over regular tacos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my they look divine! anything with melted cheese is a winner!

    lifeisashoe

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love Mexican food too, I am pretty sure that we could eat it every day and be happy! These tacos look delicious! Xo, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete