Pumpkin Coffee Cake

Monday, November 24, 2014

I can't believe Thanksgiving is only a few days away! Stephen and I are loving our time up north with my family. Since Thanksgiving is this week and after that is nothing but Christmas, I'm giving y'all one last pumpkin recipe. We had a potluck this week at work and I decided to bring pumpkin coffee cake. I made it for a different potluck a few years ago as well and it's been a hit both times! I got the recipe here and it's super easy to make!



Please ignore my not very good pictures, I couldn't get that great of one.


Cake with the crumbled brown sugar topping before baking

Cake and topping post baking

Sugar glaze

After first pouring the glaze on the cake

After the glaze has settled into the cake

Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 (15 oz) can pureed pumpkin
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 (18 oz) box yellow cake mix
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, mix together the water, pumpkin, eggs, 1 tbsp vanilla and pumpkin pie spice until well combined. Add the cake mix and baking soda and mix until combined.

2. Grease a 9x13 pan and pour the batter into the pan. 

3. In a smaller bowl, mix together 1/2 cup of brown sugar, flour and melted butter. Stir until well combined and then use your fingers to sprinkle over the cake.

4. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 min. Make sure cake is done but inserting a toothpick. If toothpick is clean, the cake is done.

5. For the glaze, combine 1/2 brown sugar, granulated sugar, 1 tsp vanilla extract and heavy cream in a saucepan and bring it to a simmer. Remove from heat and stir until all sugar is dissolved. 

6. After the cake has baked, poke holes in the top with a toothpick so the glaze can seep into the cake. Pour the glaze over the cake, making sure to cover all surfaces. Serve the cake warm, at room temperature or cold. 

If you need any last minute pumpkin recipes you can check out my pumpkin bread, pumpkin dip, roasted pumpkin seeds and pumpkin cookies. Goodness I've made a lot of pumpkin goodies! Also don't forget to check out my favorite Thanksgiving dishes

I hope you enjoy this week with family and friends!


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!