Why I Donated My Hair

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

I'm sure y'all saw by now, but this past weekend I donated my hair


A little back store - this has been something I've wanted to do for a while. Usually, I have short hair - I think this is the 3rd time in my life I've had long hair. The last time my hair was this long was for our wedding. After the wedding, I cut it and then cut it even shorter a few months later. It wasn't until afterwards that I realized I probably could've donated it if I cut it all at once instead which made me sad.

A few months ago, I noticed my hair was getting fairly long so I started doing some research into what it would take to donate my hair. Originally, I wanted to donate to a children's foundation like Locks of Love but saw some things about that company that didn't sit quite right. I heard good things about Pantene Beautiful Lengths and they also only required 8" when everyone else required 10" which really made my ears perk up ;)



I never thought I'd be attached to my hair because since I don't ever color it, I change it up with different hair cuts but with the thought of cutting it all off, I was suddenly attached. It was really a love hate relationship with my long hair but in the end, making the cut won out. I was definitely ready for lighter, shorter hair! 


I went to my regular salon and they were so excited to help me do this! It was the craziest feeling when my hair dresser cut my pony tail off and handed it to me... it felt so weird!! Since my hair is so thick, we ran out of time for her to straighten my hair so I ran home, showered off and straightened it to check out my new do! 




I'm so happy with how it turned out!! It's definitely shorter in the back (I've never been brave enough to go that short) but I'm so glad the donation "made" me go that short. I shipped out my hair on Tuesday and hopefully will get confirmation they received my pony tail in a few weeks :) 

I'm so thankful I was in a position to donate my hair and help give someone a wig. It was a fun process that was surprisingly really easy! Now I've got to get used to using less shampoo and I can stop having nightmares that I cut my hair and didn't donate it ;) Also, thank you for all the sweet words I received after cutting my hair - everyone has been so kind and it's been so appreciated!


Linking up with Jessi

10 comments:

  1. So proud of you for doing this! Your hair looks precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still loving your short hair! It looks so good! My aunt was recently diagnosed with cancer and had to purchase some wigs so I have a newfound appreciation for people who donate to create those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new cut looks gorgeous!! I love how you did this - so special!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it looks SO good! That cut is so you! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the new look - and that's wonderful of you to donate your hair!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are awesome! Someone is going to be so thankful for this. And you already know that I love this hair length on you- so, so cute!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing thing you did!! I LOVE the length!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the new look and think it's a great act that you did.

    ReplyDelete